Selena Gomez addresses the controversy surrounding her film Emilia Pérez, expressing pride in her work despite the backlash over costar Karla Sofía Gascón’s offensive social media posts.

 

Selena Gomez unfazed by Emilia Perez co-star Karla Sofía Gascón racist  comments controversy: 'Live with no regrets' | Hollywood - Hindustan Times

 

Selena Gomez has publicly spoken out about the ongoing controversy surrounding her film Emilia Pérez, amidst social media backlash aimed at her costar, Karla Sofía Gascón.

The drama has created a stir in the film industry, especially as the Oscars campaign for Emilia Pérez gains traction.

Gomez, who has faced her own share of challenges, shared her perspective during an appearance at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival on Sunday, February 9, 2025.

When asked about how she was coping with the ongoing controversy, Gomez was straightforward in her response, saying, “I’m good. I’m really good.” However, she also acknowledged that the “magic” of the film’s journey had been tainted by the events that unfolded.

Despite the turbulence, she emphasized her pride in her work on the film, adding, “Some of the magic has disappeared, but I choose to continue to be proud of what I’ve done, and I’m just grateful.”

In a moment of reflection, Gomez went on to express her unwavering confidence in the project and the people involved.

“I live with no regrets and I would do this movie over and over again if I could,” she said, drawing applause from the festival audience.

The controversy surrounding Emilia Pérez took a sharp turn when Karla Sofía Gascón, who plays a pivotal role in the film, became embroiled in a scandal after offensive social media posts resurfaced.

The posts, some of which were Islamophobic and critical of George Floyd, quickly became the focal point of public outrage.

Gascón, who identifies as transgender, was poised to make history as the first openly transgender actor to be nominated for an Academy Award.

However, the resurfacing of these posts has led to a significant shift in the conversation about the film and its campaign.

 

Selena Gomez Reflected on 'Emilia Pérez' Controversy

 

Gascón, who plays a Mexican cartel leader seeking to fake their death in order to undergo gender-affirming procedures, took responsibility for the controversial posts but also defended herself.

In an interview with CNN en Español’s Juan Carlos Arciniegas, Gascón expressed regret for her past remarks but also pointed out that she felt unfairly targeted.

“I have not committed any crime nor have I harmed anyone,” she said, strongly denying that she is racist. “I am neither racist nor anything that all these people have tried to make others believe I am.”

While Gascón’s apology may have helped to calm some tensions, the situation continued to spiral as more details came to light. One of the most damaging revelations came in the form of a 2022 tweet, which was deleted after it went viral.

In the post, which had allegedly been written by Gascón, she referred to Gomez as a “rich rat” in the context of speculation that Gomez was feuding with Hailey Bieber, Justin Bieber’s wife.

Gascón vehemently denied the tweet, telling CNN en Español, “Of course that’s not mine. I have never said anything about my partner. I would never refer to her that way.”

This controversy has also sparked reactions from other Emilia Pérez cast members, including Zoe Saldaña, who has been vocal about her own feelings of disappointment.

Saldaña expressed her dismay at the situation during a recent episode of the Awards Circuit podcast, sharing that she was both “sad” and “disappointed” by the events.

 

Emilia Pérez' Controversies Explained: Director Condemns Karla Sofía  Gascón's Resurfaced Tweets

 

As the backlash continues, both Gascón and the film’s production have been forced to navigate the fallout.

The controversy has raised questions about the intersection of social media, personal responsibility, and the long-lasting effects that public figures’ past actions can have on their careers.

For Gomez, who has built a reputation as a role model for young fans, the scandal surrounding her costar has added a layer of complexity to her role in the film.

Despite the growing controversy, Gomez has chosen to focus on the positive aspects of her involvement in Emilia Pérez.

In her remarks at the film festival, she spoke of the enduring pride she feels for the movie and its message, distancing herself from the drama surrounding Gascón.

However, her words also made it clear that she was not immune to the emotional toll the situation has taken on her.

With the Oscars season in full swing, the drama surrounding Emilia Pérez and its cast could have significant ramifications on the film’s chances for recognition.

While many were initially excited about the groundbreaking nature of Gascón’s nomination, the recent revelations have cast a shadow over the film’s Oscar campaign.

Still, Gomez’s steadfast support for the film and her decision to focus on the positive aspects of her involvement may help steer the conversation back to the artistic achievements of Emilia Pérez rather than the controversy surrounding its cast.

As the situation unfolds, it remains to be seen how the controversy will affect the film’s chances in awards season. Will the backlash overshadow the movie’s critical acclaim, or will the talent of the cast and crew ultimately shine through?

One thing is certain: the drama surrounding Emilia Pérez is far from over, and it will likely continue to dominate headlines as the Oscars approach.