Jimmy Kimmel is set to return to ABC Tuesday, but Sinclair Broadcast Group will preempt his show on its affiliates due to his refusal to apologize for controversial comments about Charlie Kirk.

NEW YORK — Jimmy Kimmel is scheduled to return to ABC’s late-night lineup Tuesday, but controversy continues to swirl around the host’s remarks regarding conservative activist Charlie Kirk.
Sources confirm that Kimmel, despite negotiating his comeback directly with Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger and Disney Entertainment Co-Chair Dana Walden, will not issue a formal apology for his previous comments.
The situation has prompted the country’s largest ABC affiliate owner, Sinclair Broadcast Group, to refuse to air the show on its stations, further highlighting tensions between national networks, local affiliates, and political sensitivities in media.
“Beginning Tuesday night, Sinclair will be preempting Jimmy Kimmel Live! across our ABC affiliate stations and replacing it with news programming,” Sinclair said in a statement. “Discussions with ABC are ongoing as we evaluate the show’s potential return.”
The controversy stems from Kimmel’s September 15 monologue, during which he falsely suggested that the alleged killer of Kirk was affiliated with Trump supporters, despite law enforcement confirming the shooter held left-wing views.
The remarks drew immediate criticism from conservative audiences, advocacy groups, and Sinclair affiliates, who called for a direct apology and a donation to Turning Point USA, the nonprofit founded by Kirk.
Turning Point USA praised Sinclair’s decision, posting on social media: “Good for @WeAre-Sinclair for blocking Kimmel from its 31 ABC affiliates. Reminder, Kimmel has yet to apologize…He’s an unrepentant liar, and affiliates have every right to demand accountability.”
Sources say Kimmel plans to address the controversy during Tuesday’s broadcast, though he will stop short of a formal apology. “He wants to provide context and acknowledge the situation,” one source said, “but he is standing by the underlying points of his commentary.”
Disney, which owns ABC, temporarily suspended Kimmel last week, explaining that the move was intended “to avoid further inflaming a tense situation at an emotional moment for our country.”
Disney characterized some of Kimmel’s comments as “ill-timed and thus insensitive.”
The suspension, and Sinclair’s subsequent refusal to air the show, have drawn attention from media analysts and the public alike.
“This is a high-profile example of the balancing act between editorial freedom, affiliate discretion, and audience expectations,” said media analyst Susan Delgado.
“Sinclair is exercising its influence in a way that highlights how local stations can impact national programming when content becomes politically sensitive.”
Nexstar Media Group, the second-largest ABC affiliate owner, has not yet confirmed whether it will air the show.
Combined, Sinclair and Nexstar affiliates represent roughly 25 percent of ABC’s total household reach, meaning their programming decisions have substantial influence on audience access.

The controversy has also drawn widespread attention from Hollywood and media organizations. SAG-AFTRA, the union representing actors and media performers, criticized Disney’s initial suspension, calling it retaliatory and a threat to free speech.
“Our society depends on the free and open exchange of ideas,” the union declared, urging Disney to reinstate Kimmel immediately and protect the rights of performers.
SAG-AFTRA President Sean Astin added: “Media companies have the right to make programming decisions, but performers must be treated fairly and not silenced for expressing their views. Disney’s decision to bring Kimmel back was the right call.”
Prominent figures in the entertainment industry voiced support for Kimmel. Howard Stern called the suspension “horrible” and “outrageous,” canceling his Disney+ subscription in protest.
Former late-night host David Letterman described the move as “misery” and said ABC had succumbed to pressure from political forces.
Stephen Colbert labeled the suspension “blatant censorship,” and Jimmy Fallon pledged to continue his political satire while expressing solidarity with Kimmel.

An open letter organized by the ACLU, signed by roughly 400 Hollywood figures—including Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Jennifer Aniston, and Robert De Niro—also criticized the suspension.
The letter framed Kimmel’s removal as influenced by pressure from FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr and affiliate stations, emphasizing the importance of defending free expression in media.
Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the ACLU, warned that the situation evokes “a modern McCarthy era,” stressing that Americans must mobilize to defend constitutional rights.
Meanwhile, the White House denied any government role in Kimmel’s suspension. Spokesperson Abigail Jackson said: “This has nothing to do with free speech.
Kimmel is free to make jokes, but a private company is under no obligation to air content that might not resonate with viewers. This is a business decision, not a censorship issue.”
Kimmel’s contract with ABC runs through May 2026, and he reportedly earns between $15 million and $16 million annually, with total compensation exceeding $20 million when bonuses are included.
Despite the controversy, his show remains a significant revenue driver for the network.

Media experts say the situation illustrates the complex interplay between network management, local affiliate power, and political and public pressures.
“Late-night shows are not just entertainment—they are cultural touchstones and political lightning rods,” Delgado said. “Affiliates like Sinclair are demonstrating the power they wield when national content clashes with audience expectations or political sensitivities.”
As Kimmel returns to air, the stakes are high. Industry insiders describe him as focused and cautious, aware that one misstep could reignite the backlash.
The upcoming broadcast is expected to clarify his remarks while attempting to maintain the humor and social commentary that have defined his program.
For viewers served by Sinclair affiliates, news programming will occupy the usual late-night slot, marking a rare preemption of a major network show.
This decision underscores the influence that local station owners can exert over national programming, particularly when content becomes controversial.
“This is more than a late-night dispute,” Delgado added. “It’s a demonstration of the tension between free expression, corporate discretion, and audience expectations in modern television. Every move by Kimmel, ABC, and Sinclair will be scrutinized.”
As the public watches Kimmel’s return, the incident serves as a case study in the challenges faced by national networks and affiliates in politically polarized times.
The outcome may influence how networks navigate controversial content in the future and illustrates the ongoing debate over free speech, corporate responsibility, and audience engagement in broadcast media.
News
NASA’s Kepler Telescope May Have Found Worlds Better Than Earth — And Scientists Are Only Now Realizing What They Mean
NASA’s Kepler mission uncovers thousands of exoplanets, including several Earth-sized worlds in the habitable zone that could potentially support liquid…
Shocking Discovery Beneath Machu Picchu: What They Found Will Change History Forever!
A previously unknown chamber beneath Machu Picchu reveals Inca water channels and ritual spaces, reshaping our understanding of the site….
Harmony Grove’s Memory Music Box: Orphan Boy Discovers Magical Link to the Past
On a quiet Saturday afternoon in the small town of Harmony Grove, Oregon, 12-year-old Caleb Porter wandered the streets, his…
Louisiana Governor’s Outrageous Suggestion: Trump as LSU’s Next Football Coach?
Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry suggests Donald Trump should help pick LSU’s next football coach, sparking outrage. ESPN analyst Ryan Clark…
Outrage at the Ballpark: Karen’s Epic Meltdown Over a Home Run Ball Leaves Fans in Shock!
A father and son’s joy over a first home run ball turns chaotic when a woman aggressively demands it, sparking…
Shocking Body Cam Footage Reveals DHS Agent’s Disturbing DUI Arrest – You Won’t Believe What He Said!
DHS agent Scott Deisseroth is arrested for DUI with children in the car, revealing shocking behavior on body cam footage….
End of content
No more pages to load






